Sometimes you forget working in this industry just how dangerous it can be. There's the heavy kegs that can do your back in, or land on your toes; the crazy customers who with a drink in decide to get violent, like the crazy guy I got arrested on Boxing Day (Merry Christmas to you to mate!) for going for my throat over the bar, because I asked him to leave after he threw his glass at his friend; the dangerous equipment/stuff around the building e.g. the co2, deep fat fryers. But, chances are, most of this stuff causes you very little real harm, the occasional small burn or bruise, it's normally your own stupidity that's the problem. As in, when you're working in the kitchen and opening a packet with a knife and you end up stabbing yourself in the hand with the knife. How clever is that? God, I feel like such a dumbass.
That was last week. Two days after I managed to pull off this quite difficult feat, I had to get surgery to repair possible nerve damage, and I'm now playing the waiting game until i get the stitches out, which for someone used to working 750+ hour weeks is tough to say the least. What I've been finding most weird is how bloody tired I am. I went for dinner on Sunday night,as I was fed up being stuck in my bedroom, and a 15/20 minute walk later to the restaurant I collapsed into a chair in arrival because my energy was so zapped. Do not underestimate the power of a general anaesthetic kids! I had to get out though, cos my aa's off also at the moment on compassionate leave, and my star super is part time now, couple that with the fact there's no chef because I was the chef, and you have my pub being run by a bunch of strangers, which is driving me nuts! The office for the pub is in my accommodation, and the toilet is next to the public kitchen. On Sunday morning, in my pj's, still kinda weak, I had to walk past all these strangers to get to the toilet, couldn't even comfortably sit in my own living room. It's times like that when you realise how demanding a job this really is - off sick for 2 weeks, yet no privacy and can't escape... I'm also a remarkable control freak, so watching people not doing things the way I want them done, and not being able to say anything is gonna land me in the loony bin. So, am gonna go back to work, not fully, sooner rather than later so I can get my control freak on!
Gonna sign off for the night hopefully going to get a smaller dressing tomorrow so i will be easier to type. Am getting bored ranting about work, so tomorrow am gonna talk about one of the ways I've been spending my time off, namely re-entering the world of on-line dating, in particular describing my last venture into it, and why it's taken me a year to try again..
Good night, empty void (I have no followers!) xx
Monday, 6 July 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment